Compliance with Anti-Money Laundering Laws and Regulations in the United Arab Emirates
Anti Money Laundering Laws and Regulations: In the United Arab Emirates, adherence to anti-money laundering (AML) legislation is obligatory for organizations identified as at risk. The UAE government has made significant strides in curbing financial crimes within its jurisdiction through the Federal Decree (No 20) of 2018 on Anti-Money Laundering, which amended prior AML statutes. At MP Elites Consulting, we are industry leaders in providing comprehensive, end-to-end AML solutions tailored to meet the regulatory requirements of businesses operating in the UAE. The frequency and magnitude of AML penalties and audits have escalated in recent years; thus, safeguarding your company against regulatory sanctions is more crucial than ever. Our robust AML solutions are designed to protect your business effectively.
Types of Organizations We Have Assisted in Achieving AML Compliance in the UAE:
Designated Non-Financial Businesses & Professions (DNFBPs)
- Real Estate Agents and Brokers: Assistance is provided for transactions related to the acquisition and/or disposal of property and real estate on behalf of clients.
- Legal Professionals: This includes notaries, law firms, and independent advocates who engage in preparing, executing, or facilitating financial transactions for clients. Areas of focus include the buying and/or selling of property, management of client-owned funds, oversight of savings, securities, and bank accounts, and organizing financial contributions for the administration, operation, or establishment of companies.
- Dealers in Precious Stones and Metals: We support entities engaged in monetary transactions that either equate to or are interconnected with transactions exceeding 55,000 AED.
- Trust and Corporate Service Providers: Our services extend to those performing transactions on behalf of clients involving specific activities such as:
- Acting as an agent in the formation of legal entities
- Providing executive services, including roles as secretary, director, or partner in a business
- Offering registered office, work address, administrative address, or correspondence address services for legal arrangements or entities
- Facilitating or acting in cooperation with another party to serve as a nominal shareholder on behalf of a legal entity.
By partnering with MP Elites Consulting, you can ensure that your organization remains in full compliance with UAE’s stringent AML laws and regulations, thereby minimizing your exposure to regulatory penalties.
Financial Institutions: Specialized Business Entities Offering Comprehensive Financial Services
Financial institutions serve as specialized business entities dedicated to providing an extensive array of financial services, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Extending Various Types of Credit Facilities: Offering tailored credit solutions to meet diverse financial needs.
- Deposit Services: Accepting a range of deposits and other funds from consumers, compliant with both conventional and Islamic Sharia-based banking systems.
- Cash Brokerage Services: Facilitating efficient trading and management of liquid assets.
- Foreign Exchange and Money Transfer Solutions: Providing secure and convenient methods for currency conversion and remittances.
- Securities and Financial Leasing Transactions: Engaging in buying, selling, and leasing of various financial instruments and securities.
- Virtual Banking Services: Delivering a suite of online banking options for remote account management and transactions.
- Stored Value and Electronic Payment Services: Enabling digital cash and retail payments through stored-value mechanisms.
- Payment Instruments Management: Responsible for issuing and managing various means of payment, obligations, or financial guarantees.
- Asset and Fund Management: Overseeing, investing, and trading in funds, futures contracts, options contracts, and other negotiable financial instruments.
- Portfolio and Diverse Fund Management: Specializing in the active management of various types of investment portfolios and funds.
- Securities Issuance Participation: Actively involved in the issuance of securities, offering auxiliary financial services related to such issuances.
- Financial Product Development and Marketing: Engaging in the research, preparation, and market promotion of specialized financial activities and products.
Through these multifaceted offerings, financial institutions play an integral role in stimulating economic growth and financial stability.
Enhancing Your AML Compliance: A Comprehensive Approach by Our Expert Team
As Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations continue to tighten across jurisdictions, an increasing number of businesses are turning to our highly experienced AML experts for specialized advice and implementation support. Our comprehensive AML compliance services encompass the following key areas:
Designation of a Compliance Officer
A well-functioning internal AML program necessitates the appointment of a designated Compliance Officer or Money Laundering Reporting Officer. This individual should have the authority, experience, and specialized training required to execute the role effectively. With deep expertise in the financial sector—particularly in AML compliance, legal risk assessment, and internal audits—our certified team assists organizations in identifying and selecting a qualified Compliance Officer. Our AML solutions have earned approval from leading regulatory authorities in the UAE.
Risk Identification, Assessment, and Management
Our AML specialists work closely with Designated Non-Financial Businesses and Professions (DNFBPs) and financial institutions to assess and identify potential criminal risks unique to their business type and scale. This includes maintaining updated risk assessments, which are made available for regulatory inspections, and evaluating specific risk factors such as geographic locations, client demographics, services, delivery channels, transactions, and products. Based on this evaluation, we assist in determining the appropriate risk-mitigation measures.
Development of Internal Policies, Procedures, and Controls
In accordance with senior management’s oversight, we assist organizations in formulating robust internal controls that are tailored to the size and nature of their operations. Our experts also help in continuous monitoring and implementation of these policies, procedures, and controls to manage and mitigate identified risks effectively.
Implementation of Customer Due Diligence (CDD) Measures
Our team undertakes the critical task of acquiring and scrutinizing information related to the Beneficial Owner and Customer identity. We systematically update CDD information to capture any changes in the customer profile and assess the source of funds. Senior management approval is sought before initiating any new business relationships with clients, ensuring an extra layer of scrutiny for high-risk entities.
To discuss how we can assist in ensuring your business is fully compliant with all pertinent AML regulations, please contact us today.